Monday, April 25, 2011

Savory Baked Miso Tofu


I love baked tofu, but it is so expensive to buy in the store. I really cheap so I started experimenting off and on with baked tofu recipes a few years ago. I have a few recipes that turned out really good, but I have to say the miso tofu is my favorite. I have had a craving for this all week so I decided to share this recipe on the blog today. Also certain family members have requested that I share the recipe with them. My ever loving family, here it is...


Ingredients
1 package extra firm tofu (about 15 oz)
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp miso paste
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tbsp dried basil
fresh ground black pepper to taste

Directions

pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.

Press the tofu for 20 minutes between two plates with a little weight on top of the plate to get the excess water out. I use a small cast iron pan, but cans of soup would work. Drain the excess water after the 20 minutes is over. Then cut the tofu in to cubes. I do it by cutting the tofu in 1/2 horizontally. Keeping the two 1/2 on top of each other cut the tofu in to fours the long way and then cut in to fives the other way.

Add the miso paste and Dijon mustard to a medium mixing bowl. Measure out 1 cup of warm water. I just use water from the tap. Add a few tablespoons of the warm water to the bowl with the miso and Dijon and mix it until it is all combined and the miso and Dijon mixture is a bit watery. Now add the rest of the water to the bowl and mix. Add the soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, dried basil and black pepper.

In a large zip-lock bag add the tofu and marinade. You are going to need get out the excess air from the bad. I usually push out the extra air first with my hands then I zip the bag almost all the way and suck the rest of the air just before the marinade reached the top of the bad. put in the fridge for at least 1 hour to 3 hours. Spray a baking sheep with non-stick cooking spray. Dump out the excess marinade and place the tofu cubes on the greased cookie sheet. Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Check it at 15 minutes to make sure that the bottom doesn't burn.

No comments:

Post a Comment